05 July 2006

Viva la vie boheme!

An update of sorts, if you will.

In May, I walked the stage posing as a spring 2006 graduate from the University of Puget Sound. It was all a lie! I still have one class left to take--American Sign Language II. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed "graduating" one seat away from Debbie in the boiling heat. (Traditionally, it rains every year for commencement, but somehow we lucked out.) I had a large cheering section with the usual familial suspects, my mom's cousins from Texas, and my own (engaged) cousin.

After grad, I had to rush back to Cali to take care of my animalés, because my parents had ever so thoughtfully booked their European vacation a mere three days after the ceremony. I probably didn't mention this earlier, but I did end up keeping that gorgeous kitty kat, who I named Nox after the Roman personification of the night. I discovered that he does quite well in airports and on airplanes when I had to fly him home. Anyway, he's all settled in at my El Cerrito residence, and he absolutely adores his new brothers and sisters; he tortures them endlessly. Unfortunately, Gila (my super-fat, black cat) is less than entralled with the new arrival and will most certainly take some time getting used to the situation.

I paid my dues for three weeks before returning to my homies in da northwest biotché! Some bullet points:
• I got the stomach flu the second day I was back, compliments of Shay. Fun times.
• Despite that minor fact, Debbie, Rebecca, and I went to Auntie Joanie's in Portland for some Powell's, hot tub soaking, and...hiking(?!) Yes, we hiked to the top of Multnomah Falls.
• Watched a slew of movies and tv shows (thank you Netflix.) I watched the first season of Alias, and I fully intend to watch the entire series before the summer's up.
• I've also made sure to enrich my mind so it doesn't all go to mush. I've been reading a lot of fun British fiction and studying for the GRE.
• For Debbie's birthday, we went on a romantic lesbian vacation to the San Juan Islands. Actually, no one else could make it, but come on, she booked us for a sunset kayak! I'll admit it was fun even though I lost feeling in my feet. Oh, and National Geographic taped us for a segment on Good Morning America which never aired. We would've been number 7.
• Oh, and I got a job at Macy's. I'm a dressing room.. attendent... thingy. I don't do sales, but I may have to interact with customers. Boo. I start tomorrow, so I'll let y'all know how it goes.

That's pretty much it--my life in three, rambling paragraphs.

To finish, my latest obsession:
I saw it once on its first US tour, back in '96-7, and I liked it, but it took 10 years and one mediocre movie to make me realize that I <3 Rent! My new life dream is to play Mimi--not on Broadway, just in front of people...real ones, not imaginary.

To days of inspiration
Playing hookey, making
Something out of nothing
The need to express-
To communicate,
To going against the grain,
Going insane, going mad
To loving tension, no pension
To more than one dimension,
To starving for attention,
Hating convention, hating pretension
Not to mention of course,
Hating dear old Mom and Dad
To riding your bike,
Midday past the three-piece suits
To fruits - to no absolutes-
To Absolut - to choice-
To the Village Voice-
To any passing fad
To being an us for once ... instead of a them!!
LA VIE BOHEME!

No comments: